Saturday, October 28, 2006

I WAS A CARDINALS FAN

Hurrah, Hurrah; the St. Louis Cardinals are World Champs. Though it could easily be claimed that they had it coming after making it to the World Series twice in three years, this is truly an amazing feet. There really isn't anything special about them, besides Prince Albert and Cy Young winner Chris Carpenter. OK, well maybe they were well above average in endowment, but no where near the ranks of the Yankees or Red Sox in talent. They pulled this off the old fashioned way, team unity. They had an identity and everyone on the roster from Pujols to Yadier Molina, who was batting last during the season and moved up to 6Th during the NLCS, had a feeling of urgency to perform. Bench players such as "Guch" and Spezio, came up when needed and got the job done with as much passion as the starter. Aaron Miles, another bench rider, went over the top; almost straddling the dugout fence during a double play or potential home run. Being from Indiana, It's been a while since one of my teams have gone all the way; the last was the Pacers in 2000 when they got destroyed by the Kobe/Shaq dynasty. Being a National League Central fan, I followed the Cards all the way through the playoffs. It was fun to jump on the band wagon and have some feeling for each game. A week ago I was in Missouri when the Cardinals beat the Mets in the NLCS. Like my Missourian friend Adam, I am not a pure cards fan. He favors the KC Royals, being from Southern MO, and I follow the Reds on Fox sports Ohio. But for the three days that I crashed on his couch, we were both Card fans. The atmosphere was a lot of fun, I thrived off the energy. The DJ's came up with audio montages, the fountain in front of the state house spurted out red water and on my return home I spotted on an overhead bridge bearing "GO CARDS" in lights (Even the Missourian Buraucracy was in on it). I supported fellow Hoosier, third baseman Scott Rolen, and became familiarized with the third installment of MLB Molina's, Yadier. I mentioned this before, but Molina came through big for the Cards when it mattered the most. Need proof? Last game of the NLCS, Molina homers out to left and the Cardinals extended their season to the World Series. The youngster reliever Wainwright also came through in a big way. He delivered the final pitch for the Cardinals tonight, and was able to close out several key match ups.
In summary, it was a fun experience even though the Cardinals weren't really my team. Maybe Adam Dunn and the Reds will get it done next year? After all, the Tigers made it to the World series a year after their fellow ALC counterparts won the the thing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home