Monday, October 30, 2006

Saw III Under the Sun

One of my big plans for the weekend was to see Saw III. After swarming in my seat one year ago during Saw II, I thought "Sure, I can do this again". Carey(Not Cary Elwes from Saw I), Cassie and I caught a matinee showing for $5, while the sun was still shining. Watching a movie in broad day light is a bad idea for several reasons.

1. It does not prepare you for a dark, twisted, movie such as Saw in which body dismemberment hides around every corner.
2. Its just sacrilegious to see a horror movie during the day, they are filmed at night and thus should be viewed at night. Watching poor souls crawl around in a mangy basement for two hours and then stepping out onto the bright parking lot is going to give you a head ache.

Okay, I guess I don't have that many reasons. The point is that I was not in the right state of mind to see a horror movie and therefore got even more freaked out than normal. Saw is notorious for not easing its audience into the realm of gore and guts. The first scene is typically the worst, I've only seen the last two installments, but last year it started off with a guy who had to extract his eye in order to recover a key. Not to ruin the movie for those who haven't seen III yet, but the movie opens up with another victim ankle chained to a bath tub. Guess what happened?

10 minutes in and I was already sweating so badly that I had to remove my coat. I was about to spas out. Which reminds me, always go to a horror movie with someone who is wussier than you, because Carie and Cassie were as calm as could be in their seats next to me as I would look over in disbelief as they just sat there, eyes on the screen. Its no fun having the weakest stomach, there's no one to share your disgust with.

Great horror flick, even though the ending leaves a bit more to be desired. It would have been better had I seen it at night with a date or something.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home